#AskAndrew - How do i make my eye makeup last longer?


I thought i would start a new blog segment since i get asked questions quite a lot and thought it would be a good idea to post them all here maybe once a week i choose the best.
This week its a question i get asked the most "How do i make my eye makeup last longer?" The answer is by using primers or bases. Eye Primers work as a magnet for eyeshadow some will even out the surface and colour of the lid some extend the wear of eyeshadows and some just make the eyeshadows more vibrant. Ive chosen a few products i think you will like ive picked products from drug store alway up to luxury including textures for all skin types so there is a good mix for everyone

Collection Lasting Perfection Ultimate Wear Powder (£4.19)

Firstly we have an old makeup trick that has been used by makeup artists for years! The !secret" is to just use some plain old pressed powder after you've applied your foundation apply powder over the eye to give it a good base to start working on your eyeshadows will go on smooth and blend evenly. As you can see above i picked Collection Cosmetics Lasting Perfection Powder as it is a long lasting finely milled powder a great pick from the drug store

Left to Right- Illamasqua Sealing Gel (£7) , NARS Pro Prime Eye Primer (£19.50), NYX Milk Jumbo Pencil (£5),  Laura Mercier Eye Canvas (£22.50)

Then we have some products which will either give you a smooth base or make your eye makeup last much longer, I put these products together because there are more bases where you don't want a coloured base these are all either clear or nude so you won't see them when you apply eyeshadow on top. On the far left you have the Illamasqua Sealing Gel which on its own doesn't do much but is meant to used with other products i find mixing this with eyeliners, eyeshadows etc will make sure your eye makeup won't crease this is particularly good for those of you with oily lids as is with the NARS Pro Prime and Laura Mercier Eye Canvas which contains starch to get rid of oiliness. Where as Jumbo pencil works better on those with normal non-oily eyelids as it creates a smooth base that needs to be set with eyeshadow

Left to Right - Laura Mercier Eye Canvas, NYX Milk Jumbo Pencil, NARS Pro Prime, Illamasqua Sealing Gel
Left to Right- CKone Eyeshadow Base -Prim (£11), Chanel Illusion D'Ombre- Fantasme (£25), Maybelline Colour Tattoo- Permanent Taupe (£4.99), OCC Cream Colour Concentrate- Dark Matter (£14.95)

These products are for those of you who want a bit of colour on your lid but want the eyeshadow to last these can be used on there own or with other products. I find my self using these a lot ill put down one of these then use a powder to blend over the top and work from there i find it really does extend the wear of your eyeshadow by quite a lot and you dont see the creasing or wearing either because you have that base colour underneath.
My favourites have to be the OCC Cream Colour Concentrate which is basically a cream eyeshadow that sets down and dries which is a god send for oily lids, these blend really well too if you just want to use this on the lid as an eyeshadow without powder. A more affordable version of the Cream Colour Concentrate is the Maybelline Colour Tattoo which works in the same way although its a bit drier. The last 2 products are more for your normal/combo eyelids as the Chanel Illusion D'ombre sets and it looks absolutely beautiful but ive found it doesnt last as long with oily lids. CKone Eyeshadow Bases are great for a wash of colour before doing a smokey eye they work the same as the the others but this one has a more grungey tone that then others

Left to Right- Chanel Illusion D'Ombe, Maybelline Colour Tattoo, OCC Cream Colour Concentrate, CKone Eyeshadow Base

I hope this post have helped out you somewhat, if there are any other questions you have or anything you want to know leave a comment below or tweet me on twitter with the hashtag #AskAndrew and ill get around to answering your question

Thanks for Reading!

What are your favourite Eye Bases?
What do you find works best for you?
Leave a Comment!


I'm happy to answer any and all questions.
For requests or questions etc send me a tweet @BeautyandTheBoy

If you love my blog, Don't forget to follow my blog on Bloglovin:Beauty and The Boy
Thanks for Reading!

Talia James (The Skincare Saviour)

Hi and welcome to my blog. I'm Andrew and i'm from Glasgow in the UK. Hope You'll follow my blog where I talk about everything from skincare, hair and makeup to busting myths and breaking down trends. Feel free to contact me at andrew@beautyandtheboy.com id love to hear from you.

8 comments:

  1. Bittersweet Shelby17:12

    I think that the Nyx Jumbo Pencils (especially in milk) and the Maybelline Colour Tattoos are such great eyeshadow bases. I think the Nyx pencil in Milk is great to get cheap coloured eyeshadows to really pop when the pigmentation just isn't there without a base. The Maybelline Colour Tattoo's seem to last a little longer then the Nyx Jumbo Pencil but I love them both!

    -Shelby

    http://bittersweetshelby.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely wanted to try that Collection Lasting Perfection product :) This is ultimately helpful. The Maybelline Color Tattoo or sometimes just a concealer are my go-to bases. They work really well for me. :)

    Zoe
    http://thatszoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina Orlando20:45

    Okay here is my issue. My eye primer works fine but my cheek products don't stay through the day. Bronzer and blusher fade, even though I use Urban Decay's All Nighter Setting Spray. How do I prevent that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try using a cream base then using a powder on top that way even if the powder fades the cream is still under it so you still have some blush

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tips! I have never tried using eye bases on my eye makeup. This post helps me a lot :)

    xx,

    felishmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Youre welcome! thanks for reading x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Love the Maybelline Color Tattoo's and really want to try the NYX Jumbo Pencils!

    Lizzie // xBeautyMagic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, I appreciate you and I would like to read your next post. makeup

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post I really appreciate it, I would love to hear what you thought
I always try to get back to each and every comment
Thanks!